Practice Nurse - North West London
Reports To: GP Partners (for clinical practice), Practice Manager (for admin)
Main Purpose of Post:
To assist medical personnel in the care of practice patients, to include treatment, preventative care, screening and patient education.
Duties and Responsibilities of Post :
• Provide assessment, screening treatment, services and health education advice.
• Assist with the organisation and co-ordination of the provision of nursing services for the practice.
• Provide nursing treatment to patients in participation with general practitioners, using agreed protocols, including the taking of cervical smears.
• Provide general and specific health screening to the practice patients (within the agreed protocols) with referral to general practitioners as necessary.
• Be competent in administration of childhood immunisation and travel vaccination.
• Be competent and confident in managing people with long-term health conditions
• Assess, diagnose, plan, implement and evaluate treatment/interventions and care for patients presenting with an undifferentiated diagnosis
• Proactively identify, diagnose and manage treatment plans for patients at risk of developing a long-term condition (as appropriate).
• Diagnose and manage both acute and chronic conditions, integrating both drug-and nondrug-based treatment methods into a management plan.
• Prescribe and review medication for therapeutic effectiveness, appropriate to patient needs and in accordance with evidence-based practice and national and practice protocols, and within scope of practice.
• Work with patients in order to support compliance with, and adherence to, prescribed treatments.
• Provide information and advice on prescribed or over-the-counter medication, medication regimes, side-effects and interactions
• Support patients to adopt health promotion strategies that promote healthy lifestyles, and apply principles of self-care.
• Implement and participate in vaccination and immunisation programmes for both adults and children.
• Utilise and demonstrate sensitive communication styles, to ensure patients are fully informed and consent to treatment
• Recognise and work within own competence and professional code of conduct as regulated by the NMC
• Produce accurate, contemporaneous and complete records of patient consultation, consistent with legislation, policies and procedures.
• Prioritise, organise and manage own workload in a manner that maintains and promotes quality.
• Deliver care according to NSF, NICE guidelines and evidence-based care
• Maintain and control injectable and oral drug stocks in the treatment room and doctors surgeries.
• Advise manager regarding health and safety aspects. Pathological specimens and investigatory procedures
• Undertake the collection of pathological specimens, including intravenous blood samples, swabs, smears, etc.
• Oversee the duties undertaken by the HCA and assist with training and mentoring as and when required.
• Prioritise own workload and ensure effective time-management strategies are embedded within the culture of the team.
• Ensure accurate notes of all consultations and treatments are recorded adequately on the computer.
• Assist in the formulation of practice philosophy, strategy and policy.
• Maintain a notice board in the waiting area designated for patient health care and education.
Professional Development :
• Maintain continued education by attendance at courses and study days as deemed useful or necessary for professional development.
• Disseminate learning and information gained to other team members in order to share good practice and inform others about current and future developments (eg courses and conferences)
• Assess own learning needs and undertake learning as appropriate
• Staff must behave in a professional and discreet manner at all times.
• Patient and professional confidentiality is of prime importance. Any breach of confidentiality can result in immediate suspension/dismissal
• Staff must demonstrate due regard for safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children.
“Health & self respect for all”
If you are interested in hearing more about this vacancy then please APPLY TODAY by simply clicking the "Apply Now" button below and we will contact you with further details.